Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Four Marys

Yestre'en the Queen had four Marys
The nicht she'll hae but three,
There was Mary Seaton and Mary Beaton
and Mary Carmichael and me.

Oh little did my mither think
The day she cradled me
The lands I was tae travel in,
The death I was tae dee.

Oh tie a napkin round my e'en
No let me see to dee,
And send nae word tae my mither dear
Who's far awa' o'er the sea.

 I wish I could lie in oor ain kirk yard
Beneath yon old oak tree,
Where we pulled the rowans
And strung the gowans,
My brithers and sisters and me.

But why should I fear a nameless grave
When I've hopes for eternity?
And I'll pray that the faith o' dying quick
Be given through grace to me.

Yestre'en the Queen had four Marys
The nicht she'll hae but three
There was Mary Seaton and Mary Beaton
Mary Carmichael and me.

Mary Hamilton was supposedly one of the four Marys who were ladies-in-waiting to Mary Queen of Scots. However, the name of Mary Hamilton does not appear in any official records of the time. The Marys that attended the Queen in France were Seton, Beaton, Fleming and Livingston.

PLUS  THE BONUS


Edinburgh Castle

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Today's post brings the series to an end -o0o- Bonnie Scotland I adore thee Bonnie Scotland I adore thee,  Now I wander gladly...